Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Somewhat New Year's Resolutions

Well it’s that time of year again, New Year’s resolutions. I will spare you the cliché “new year, new me” blog post because, truthfully, I have never actually written down an official New Year’s resolution and don’t plan on it this year. To me, every day is another opportunity to improve yourself, why wait until January 1st.  I recently have been reflecting on the past year. Today I want to share some things I learned in 2014 and some of my aspirations for 2015.


This past year I grew a lot as a person. As a senior year in high school, I became a leader and had many opportunities to practice leadership in 2014. As a believer in Christ, I strengthened and grew deeper in my relationship with Christ. I also, learned how and took more opportunities to share my faith. I hope to further my leadership skills and continue to draw closer to God in 2015.

This summer I had the opportunity to be a leader at weekend retreat for
the middle school students. That weekend was so influential on me
spiritually and as a leader. At least once a week I recall memories
or things I learned that weekend.

This past year taught me a lot about the “real world”. I began to learn what it means to grow up and have “big kid” responsibilities. From making college and career choices to figuring out how to pay for college to starting a job, I learned that being a grown up isn’t as fun (or easy) as it seems. With that said, I began to embrace and enjoy my last few months of high school, living at home, and just being a kid. I hope to retain my childlike sense of wonder as I continue to grow up and take on responsibilities in 2015.

Me visiting the University of Florida over the summer.
Me when I received my Auburn acceptance letter.
 
This past year taught me that family doesn’t mean blood. I became aware of just how amazing and important my friends are to me. Whether it be late night heart to heart conversations or hilarious snapchats, I learned this year that true friends are always there to comfort, encourage, and make you laugh. I hope that everyone has friends like that. In 2015, I hope to grow deeper in my current friendships and gain new friendships too.

"Madison Squared"

Some of my favorite sisters in Christ.

My "big sister"

My "adopted underclassmen" and dear friend.

This past year also reminded me how awesome my parents are. Even when I’m being stubborn and don’t want to see it, my parents always have my best interest. They want to do what’s right for me. Sometimes I try to be a little too independent and overlook how great my parents really are. This upcoming year I will be moving away from home for college and I hope to stay close with my parents.

My hilarious yet sometimes serious dad.

My sassy and loving mom.
 
This past year I learned that being nice makes others happy and yourself even happier. Sending an encouraging text or picking up your friend’s favorite treat or simply complimenting someone, spreads happiness. Everyone is hurting and going through something, and sometimes a positive word can really impact someone’s day. I know how it makes me feel when someone shows me kindness, and I want to make other people feel that way in 2015.

This past year I also learned that the best part of memories is making them. This year I made a lot of memories and became mindful of how cool memories can be. As a senior, I have spent a lot of time reminiscing. Its funny how I don’t really recall anything special about the nights spent watching Netflix by myself, but I have vivid memories of the times spent doing exciting, random, and funny things with my friends and family. I hope I can take my love of making memories into 2015 as I head off to conquer new adventures.

Such school spirit.

Yes, that is shaving cream.

Canoeing like Lewis and Clark.

Going zip lining in Mexico (and yes, I have clothes on)

Like the title of this post, these are my “somewhat New Year’s resolutions.” This past year I have really started to discover and create myself as a person. I learned about a lot about myself and how the world works. I 'm grateful for all that 2014 taught me and I am looking forward to all that 2015 has to offer. What are your aspirations for the New Year? I wish y’all a happy and safe New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment