Monday, July 21, 2014

My Tips for Standing Firm in the Faith

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith;
be courageous; be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13
Often times on my Instagram I get asked how I stay firm in my faith. I came to Christ towards the end of my sophomore year of high school and am continuing to build my relationship with Christ as I entire my senior year of high school this fall. Today I want to share a few tips or things that I have found helpful in staying true to my faith and keeping my relationship with Christ. I hope you find this helpful and can apply it to your life. I would love to hear about how you stay faithful. Share your tips in the comments below or on Instagram @MonogrammedMadison.


1.) Surrounding yourself with other believers.
Like I said, I came to know Christ a little over a year ago at the end of my sophomore year of high school. In the past year I have grown so close with the other high schoolers in my youth group. I have found that surrounding myself with other Christians who have the same values and beliefs as me has strengthened my relationship with God and has really impacted me positively. Proverbs 27:17 says, as irons sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. Having friends who are believers strengthen us. The bible also says in Matthew 10:32-33, whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. God respects us for being bold and acknowledging him in front our friends.
 
2.) Getting involved.
Growing up in church I never was really into the whole youth group thing. Since coming to Christ, I have truly come to love my youth group and all that we do together. Getting involved in the church has helped me grow as a Christian. It never ceases to amaze me how Jesus Christ is what ties everyone in my youth group together. I think it is really cool how we all met and have grown to be great friends all because of Christ. Romans 12:5 says, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. Similarly Galatians 3:28 says, we are all one in Christ Jesus.

3.) Educating yourself and being ready to defend your faith.
We live in a world where people will mock and try to destroy your faith, even in high school. As Christians, we must educate ourselves and be able to defend your faith. God warns of this and 1 Peter 3:15 says, always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have, but do this with gentleness and respect. Also, being knowledgeable about what you believe making sharing the gospel with others easier. Titus 1:9 says, He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.

4.) Spending time with God.
Spending time with God is the most important thing. It truly is what it means to be a Christian. Doing a daily devotional and diving into God’s word is how God prepares us for the day ahead. Through daily devotionals we learn more about God and grow closer to him. Romans 15:4 says, for everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope. Similarly, 2 Timothy 3:16 says, all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment